In an extremely rare case of allergic reactions from a seemingly harmless substance that is taken by millions of people every day for minor aches and pains including headaches, muscle aches and more, ibuprofen, the verdict in a case for a girl who’s family claims she went blind from taking Motrin, a Johnson and Johnson product, has come back in favor of the maker because they said the blindness cannot be directly attributed to the ibuprofen.
The girls parents argue that the girl’s blindness, which resulted from severe chemical burns from a reaction to the ibuprofen-based product, was directly due to the rare allergic reaction, and argued that Johnson and Johnson should put a warning on the label that there could be a severe reaction in certain people. While I usually side with the plaintiffs in cases like this, the girl’s extremely rare condition is one that is so rare that it cannot be added to a label, since even doctors didn’t know about the correlation, and if they were to add warnings about every single possible scenario, they might as well make the bottle a lot bigger.
At least the case has brought some national attention to the case and the potential for extreme allergic reactions, if nothing else, and perhaps parents giving their children ibuprofen or children’s Motrin as was the case here, can be aware that if there were a severe reaction, they know what it could be from in the many variables that arise when parents and doctors are trying to figure out what triggered an allergic response that is so obviously severe.
Fortunately, there are also herbal painkillers for natural pain relief that work very well as anti inflammatories in the body, which helps mitigate pain, and also natural ingredients that help dull the pain receptors and promote the various chemicals in the body that make pain duller and not so apparent to the human mind.